What's happening at the Deacom skunk works?
The skunk works at Deacom headquarters has never been busier. The following is a partial list of the exciting things being completed right now:
- The new web based version of Deacom. This project will launch in early 2014 and represents the culmination of many years of hard work. To prepare for this new product, the last several years have been spent gradually converting the entire back-end of the software to the .NET framework. This change allows a thin front-end client to run the software through a browser on PC as well as Macintosh based computers. Because the back-end changes have been rolled out over a number of years and are therefore already in production and tested, the disruption caused by this conversion should be quite minimal for Deacom customers.
- iPhone based system access. Because the existing Deacom product has been converted over to .NET, Deacom was able to leverage this change to rapidly develop an application based on Apple’s iOS language that will provide iPhone access to the existing Deacom system. Any report or data view accessed through the main system will automatically be available through the iPhone. These data views and drill downs will use the exact same code set as the main application to guarantee consistent reporting.
- Multi-lingual capability. Deacom has grown over the years and has sold ERP software to larger and larger customers. A growing number of these larger Deacom customers have facilities around the globe. To accommodate these multi-national operations, the web based version of Deacom will provide the ability to use the software in any language. Coupled with Deacom’s strong existing multi-currency functionality, Deacom is now ready for the new global economy.
- iPhone based business intelligence. The main Deacom application provides wonderful Business Intelligence tools featuring user definable graphing capability with the ability to drill down and view the transactional detail that makes up the graph values. This existing technology is being extended to allow it to be accessed through an iPhone application to make it easier for busy managers to keep an eye on key performance indicators.
- Visual scheduling with capacity constraints. Built on the long standing product routing and visual calendar tools in Deacom, the new scheduling tools allow drag and drop scheduling of job sequences, capacity calculations including un-planned machine down time and available to promise dates. Designed to make complex scheduling tasks simple, this new functionality is critical for customers trying to satisfy the ever-increasing demands of their customers.